Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1952, and the first site for the church was at 2100 Roswell Road, Marietta (in the shadow of the “Big Chicken”). Services were held in a cottage on this property until a Chapel was completed, and a parsonage was purchased nearby for the first pastor and his family. In 1953, the first Christian Kindergarten in Marietta was organized and began operation in the cottage adjacent to the Chapel, and continued until 1976.
Our first facility on Roswell Road was dedicated in 1963. In 1971, both the community and the congregation began to grow rapidly. As we grew, there was no room for expansion, and, the decision was made to relocate to the high growth area in Northeast Cobb. Over a period of 5 years, the Roswell Road property was sold, and property purchased on Sandy Plains Road. Our first Worship service at the Sandy Plains location was held on Reformation Sunday, 1980, with the official dedication of the new facility in February, 1981. During the time of construction, we had our Worship services at Kincaid Elementary School. In 1982, an educational annex was constructed.
In 1990, an all-purpose building was completed for classrooms, choirs, administration and storage.
In 2002, Holy Trinity celebrated 50 years of ministry and outreach in the community.
In 2003, renovation was begun on the unfinished upstairs area of the education building. Our “Upper Room” provided much needed education, fellowship and meeting space. A commercial kitchen was also included. This addition was dedicated in 2004.
In 2008, the Sanctuary underwent an extensive renewal; during this time, worship took place in our Upper Room. The newly renovated Sanctuary was rededicated in November, 2008.
Holy Trinity has been blessed with the leadership of seven (7) pastors over the years. We have had four associate pastors, and one part-time minister of pastoral care.
Currently, we have a Senior Pastor and an Associate Pastor. We are also blessed with a Director of Music Ministry, an Associate Director of Music/Organist, a Saturday Worship Ensemble Leader, a Director of Children, Adult & Family Ministry, Director of Youth and Family Ministry; a Church Administrator, office Manager and a Bookkeeper/Secretary. We also have several paid Child Care Workers.
One item of interest: In 1968, Holy Trinity had the first Chrismon Tree in Marietta, which featured Chrismons hand-made by our members.